Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED Lens (Black)
- Brand Name: Nikon
- Condition: New (Factory Sealed)
- Stock: Available
- Shipping: Free
- Manufacturer Warranty: Full
- Tax: Included
- Bulk Purchase: Allowed
- The Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED is a fast and high-quality wide-angle prime lens for Nikon FX and DX DSLRs. It offers a bright maximum aperture of f/1.4 for low-light shooting and shallow depth of field effects, as well as a 28mm focal length that is versatile for landscapes, architecture, street photography and environmental portraits.
- The lens features a complex optical design with 14 elements in 11 groups, including two extra-low dispersion (ED) elements and three aspherical elements to reduce aberrations and distortions, and enhance sharpness and contrast. The lens also has a Nano Crystal Coat and a fluorine coat to minimize ghosting, flare and smudges, and a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) to provide fast, quiet and accurate autofocus.
- The lens has a metal barrel with a rubberized focus ring and a weather-sealed mount. It has a distance scale with a depth of field indicator for f/11 and f/16, but no aperture ring or focus distance limiter. It has an AF/MF switch on the side for easy switching between autofocus and manual focus modes. It has a 77mm filter thread that does not rotate during focusing or zooming.
- The lens comes with a dedicated petal-shaped hood (HB-76) and a soft case.
- The Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED delivers excellent image quality across the aperture range, with superb center sharpness, contrast and color rendition. The lens is very sharp even wide open at f/1.4, although the corners are slightly softer on FX sensors. Stopping down to f/2.8 or smaller improves the corner sharpness significantly, making the lens suitable for high-resolution cameras.
- The lens has very low distortion and vignetting for a wide-angle lens, especially when stopped down to f/2.8 or smaller. The lens handles chromatic aberrations well, thanks to the ED elements, with only minor purple fringing in high-contrast areas at wide apertures.
- The lens produces beautiful bokeh, with smooth out-of-focus backgrounds and highlights, thanks to the large aperture and the nine-bladed diaphragm. The lens also has good resistance to coma and astigmatism, making it suitable for night photography.
- The Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED has a solid and durable build quality that can withstand harsh environments and rough handling. The lens has a magnesium alloy barrel with extensive weather sealing against dust and moisture. It also has a self-diagnostic shutter mechanism that is rated for 200,000 cycles.
- The lens has a comfortable and ergonomic grip that provides a secure hold and easy access to controls. The lens has a large number of buttons and dials that can be customized to suit different shooting styles and preferences. The lens also has illuminated buttons that make it easier to operate in low-light situations.
- The lens has a fast and quiet autofocus system that uses an ultrasonic motor (SWM) to drive the lens elements. The autofocus system is accurate and reliable in most situations, but may struggle in low light or low contrast scenes.
- The lens has full-time manual focus override, which allows for fine-tuning the focus without switching to MF mode. The lens also has focus peaking for stills and video, which highlights the areas of the image that are in focus on the LCD screen or the viewfinder.
- The Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED is compatible with Nikon’s TAP-in Console, which allows for firmware updates and customization of the AF settings via a USB connection to a computer.
- The Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED is also compatible with Nikon’s Teleconverter 1.4x (Model TC-X14) and Teleconverter 2.0x (Model TC-X20), which extend the focal length by 1.4x or 2x respectively, with some loss of light and image quality.